Published October 5, 2009 | By Nokia - Press Release
Nokia and Adobe bring new flash applications to mobile phones and other devices
Open Screen Project Fund recipients announced
Los Angeles, CA, USA - At Adobe MAX, Adobe's worldwide developer conference, Nokia and Adobe today announced more than 35 funded multi-screen applications as part of the joint Open Screen Project Fund. Both companies also introduced new Nokia Web Runtime (WRT) extensions for Adobe® Dreamweaver® CS4 software making the creation of mobile WRT widgets for supported Nokia devices easier than ever. Together with the Ovi Store by Nokia, developers and designers have an easy way to engage, build and publish their content to Nokia mobile device customers around the world.
Engage - The Open Screen Project Fund, Newly Funded Companies
Announced in February 2009, the Open Screen Project Fund is a USD 10 million joint market development fund designed to accelerate the creation of multi-screen applications, content and services that leverage existing Adobe Flash Platform technologies and the announced Adobe Flash Player 10.1 runtime for smartphones, netbooks, smartbooks and PCs (see separate press release). Companies of all sizes have been encouraged to submit their ideas, and they have responded by submitting more than 750 to date from over 60 countries. The more than 35 funded applications built using the Flash Platform realize the Open Screen Project vision of delivering compelling experiences across screens. A complete list of funded applications can be found at http://www.openscreenproject.org/developers/get_inspired.html.
The Open Screen Project Fund is actively accepting new submissions until the end of 2010. Developers can apply via openscreenproject.org or openscreen.forum.nokia.com/. During the Adobe MAX conference, Adobe and Nokia will be demonstrating several of these applications. (Attendees can find these demos in the Winners Circle in the Community Lounge). They include:
- Twittle, Flash Widgets, LLC - Twittle is a robust twitter client. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uezgn6OJLH0
- MyFestival Guide, Little Big Ideas - The MyFestival Guide is an interactive moving map and guide to the 2nd largest music festival in Europe, the Roskilde Festival. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZNsbUlJj0
- SmartGrooves, Storer Communications Ltd. - SmartGrooves is a creative entertainment application using Flash technology to deliver interactive multimedia. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcTFTyZkL10
- MileBlaster, CTM Holdings - MileBlaster tracks your frequent flyer miles against award goals. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sN8L1Cm4Pc
- UvLayer, Unkown Vector - UvLayer lets users curate their digital media through an immersive multi-screen interface
- LiveTalkBack, Greys Mead Ltd - LiveTalkBack collects real-time audience feedback to content publishers and broadcasters. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW-2MWv55aI
- TckTckTck Campaign, Monterosa - The Tck Tck Tck Campaign hopes to engage and inspire millions of people around the world to join a growing movement against global warming.
Turner Broadcasting is another content partner that developed a new CNN video application leveraging the Adobe Flash Platform. "Working with Nokia and Adobe Flash technology allowed us to develop a fantastically rich CNN video application for consumers. None of this would have been possible without the Open Screen Project efforts", said Mark Farrow, Director, Wireless Technologies, Platform Research, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
Build - Nokia Provides New WRT Extensions for Dreamweaver
Web developers and designers looking to build rich applications for mobile devices can now build WRT widgets more easily using familiar tools like Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 software. The Nokia WRT Extensions for Dreamweaver CS4 software include the Web Developer's Library, widget import capabilities, widget wizard, widget preview, debugging and deployment features. Additionally, the updated tools support touch screens; "Home screen" publishing functionality on the Nokia N97 and the recently announced Nokia N97 mini; and Platform Services which enable the simulation of location, calendar, contacts and other APIs in applications.
Publish - Flash Developers Can Reach Millions of Nokia customers with Ovi Store
Close to 40 percent of all new phones in 2008 shipped with Flash technology and Nokia has shipped more than 400 million devices with Flash technology to date. Developers and designers can take advantage of this global reach by publishing their content to Ovi Store and the Adobe AIR® Marketplace for consumers to download and experience. With content ranging from applications, games, videos, podcasts, productivity tools, and Web to location-based services and much more, Ovi Store offers Flash developers a unique opportunity to target customers and monetize their content.
"The Open Screen Project Fund has received developer submissions from over 60 countries" said Purnima Kochikar, vice president, Forum Nokia. "With the Open Screen Project Fund, easy to use development tools and distribution through Ovi Store, times have never been better for Flash technology developers."
"We are excited to see many more rich Flash technology based mobile applications come to market," said David Wadwhani, general manager and vice president, Flash Platform Business at Adobe. "With today's announcement of Flash Player 10.1 and Nokia's Dreamweaver software extensions for WRT, we expect even more innovation and creativity in web content development across screens in the future.
Nokia is a pioneer in mobile telecommunications and the world's leading maker of mobile devices. Today, we are connecting people in new and different ways - fusing advanced mobile technology with personalized services to enable people to stay close to what matters to them. We also provide comprehensive digital map information through NAVTEQ; and equipment, solutions and services for communications networks through Nokia Siemens Networks.
About Adobe Systems Incorporated
Adobe revolutionizes how the world engages with ideas and information - anytime, anywhere and through any medium. For more information, visit www.adobe.com.
Adobe and Adobe Flash (TM) are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Tel. +650 353-8575
Tel. +358 7180 34900
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Tel. +1 408-536-4023
Most recent press releases
- 14 May 2013 - Nokia introduces Nokia Lumia 925
- 10 May 2013 - Introducing the Nokia Lumia 928 – a new expression of the world’s most innovative smartphone
- 10 May 2013 - Nokia People & Planet Report 2012 published